18 December 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Generosity

Here is this week's BTT, hosted by Deb. For other responses, visit her blog here.

Four questions today: (1) Do you give books as gifts? (2) To everyone? (3) Or only to select people? (4) How do you feel about receiving books as gifts?

Short answer: I'm a big believer in giving and receiving books as gifts.

If I know the person's tastes, it's usually pretty easy for me to find a book for him or her. If I'm not sure, a book gift card works well!

I particularly love picking out books for my niece and nephews. Sharing books across generations is rewarding on so many levels.

I love getting books for presents!

22 comments:

Dot 12/18/08, 8:02 AM

It is lovely to share books across generations; I have all my childhood books which I will hopefully be able to pass on to my children one day. Happy BTT!

miaomiao 12/18/08, 9:10 AM

i hate picking out books for others. i would ask what books they wanted, and i would get it for them.

Scobberlotcher 12/18/08, 9:12 AM

I'm like you - I love to give and receive books. And I don't know any booklover who doesn't mind receiving a gift card. :) Hope Santa brings you all the books you want!

Ms. Bookish 12/18/08, 9:58 AM

You're right - sharing books across generations is such a wonderful thing. When I have a book in mind for a child on my list, it's very exciting.

Smilingsal 12/18/08, 10:05 AM

You're that special aunt who is remembered for years to come because she gave books for presents.

Melody 12/18/08, 10:40 AM

I agree with you, Beth.
It's a great feeling giving and receiving books!

Bluestocking 12/18/08, 10:51 AM

Thanks for stopping by!!

Lisa 12/18/08, 10:51 AM

I love giving books, especially when I know its one they want. Getting books is also great, but that doesn't happen as much.

My Two Blessings 12/18/08, 12:22 PM

Me too - I love giving and receiving books. I try to match the book with the person and what they like. Works for the most part. Kids are so much fun to pick out books for.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Karin RN 12/18/08, 12:54 PM

Seems like your family are book lovers too. Makes shopping for gifts so exciting!

Matt 12/18/08, 2:05 PM

FYC: Gift receipt would be very handy, in case the recipient doesn't like the book. A book giftcard would serve the same purpose. I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see if I get what I wish. :)

Ted 12/18/08, 4:05 PM

I know what you mean about buying books for young readers. I'm so eager to share my great reading experiences from my younger years.

The Social Frog 12/18/08, 6:47 PM

Great answers :) Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Mae 12/18/08, 9:10 PM

Book gift cards are the best! If I do get those (which is rare...) I always make the person who gave me the card write a note in my book.

Nicole 12/18/08, 9:25 PM

Ii think I prefer to receive a gift card. I would like to give a book as a gift if I had enough info to get them something they would like.

Alexa 12/18/08, 9:26 PM

Yes I love sharing books I loved with my nieces.

Yvonne 12/18/08, 10:26 PM

I'm a huge fan of bookstore gift cards. Nothing makes me happier :)

Michele at Reader's Respite 12/19/08, 11:42 AM

I love buying a book with a child in mine. I'm so bad about this that I even buy books for my kids and put them away for when they get older. I'm already buying Middle Reader stuff for them and they're only 3 and 1 years. Hope they turn out to be readers, eh?

Josette 12/20/08, 10:50 AM

I LOVE receiving books as gifts too! Among the best presents in the world.

Yes, giving gift cards would be a great idea too if we don't know what to get them. I don't mind getting gift cards myself. :)

Hey, I do like picking books for my nieces and nephew too! I just hope that they'll like them.

Mervi 12/20/08, 3:53 PM

I agree that giving books is fun!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books 12/23/08, 4:16 PM

I love to give an receive books.

This year I've made an extra effort to give books (or bookstore gift cards).

I like to get the gift cards, too, because I can try to work it into a bigger "date night" out with my husband :)

My full answer is here.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2016. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker