Laza from Gimme More Books is hosting a Graphic Novels challenge for 2009. This will truly be a challenge for me because I've never read a graphic novel! I went to the bookstore yesterday to see what was available, and I think I'll be able to do this. I came away with five books to get me started (more on that in a bit).
Visit the Graphic Novels Challenge blog to read the full rules and to see who else is joining. I am committing to the Major Level, which means I'm going to read twelve graphic novels in 2009. The challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2009. I'll be reviewing my books here and posting a link to the reviews on the challenge blog.
Part of the challenge for me is learning to write a decent review of a graphic novel, which should cover not just the story line but also the artwork. Another aspect to the challenge is figuring out what to read. I bought my first ever graphic novels yesterday. I picked two familiar books, two based on a review I came across, and one unknown. My blog and Twitter friends have suggested others.
Here is my list of books:*
1. Nancy Drew #1: The Demon of River Heights by Stefan Petrucha (W) and Sho Murase (A)
2. Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel by Eoin Colfer, Andrew Donkin (W) and Giovanni Rigano (A)
3. Bone #1: Out from Boneville by Jeff Smith (W, A)
4. Bone #2: The Great Cow Race by Jeff Smith (W, A)
5. Amulet #1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi (W, A)
6. Mouse Guard #1: Belly of the Beast by David Petersen (W, A)
*W = writer (author); A = artist.
I'm going back to the store today to pick up a Mouse Guard or two (love, love, love the artwork). As for the final six books: I'm planning on continuing one or more of the series I've already bought. Which books, which series will depend on what I liked.