In June 2008, Wine Spectator magazine published a list of red wines that go well with pizza. The list was limited to what they called "value reds." Here are a few we tried and liked. The number in parentheses is the score from the Wine Spectator list.
- Columbia Crest Melot Columbia Valley Grand Estates 2005 (88)
- Goats do Roam Wine Company Goats do Roam Red Coastal Region 2006 (85)
- Francis Coppola Presents Rosso California 2006 (84)
- Fetzer Shiraz California Valley Oaks 2005 (84)
- Smoking Loon Syrah California 2005 (84)
- Columbia Crest Merlot-Cabernet Washington Two Vines 2005 (83)
We are still making our way through the list! All wines on the list are under $15 a bottle -- even here in Pennsylvania.
I make homemade pizza on the grill almost every week during the summer. I make my own dough for the crust, but we generally buy the sauce. I just don't have time to can or freeze my own anymore. Muir Glenn organic pizza sauce is our favorite commercial brand.
So most Friday nights, you'll find us on the deck eating fresh grilled pizza and sipping a new wine from the Wine Spectator's list.