Total Books for 2009
I read 101 books 2009 and reviewed 100 of those. I left 5 books unfinished. I have 1 review to write. I read 11 books in December, which is great, considering the holidays and other year-end projects.
What Did I Read and Review in December?
Here's what I reviewed in December. Click on the link to see my review; the letter in parentheses is my rating
- The Magykal Papers by Angie Sage (B+)
- Dough by Richard Bertinet (A)
- Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle (B-)
- The Brain Finds a Leg by Martin Chatterton (B+)
- An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (B)
- Burning for Revenge by John Marsden (B+)
- Sweeping up Glass by Carolyn Wall (A)
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan (A)
- The Graceling by Kristin Cashore (C+)
- Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian (A+)
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (B+)
- The Russian Hill Murders by Shirley Tallman
- Dairy Hollow Soup & Bread by Crescent Dragonwagon
- Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon
- Sideways by Rex Pickett
- Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home by the Moosewood Collective
- The Tavern on Maple Street by Sharon Owens
Literary Road Trip, Author Interviews, Guest Posts
Did I Complete Any Challenges? Join Any New Ones?
Are you kidding?
I completed: YA Dystopian Challange, Library Thing's 999 Challenge, the 100+ Challenge (didn't blog about finishing)
I joined: Historical Fiction Challenge, Debutante Ball Challenge, South Asian Author Challenge, 451 Challenge, eBook Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, Graphic Novel Challenge, Buy One and Read Challenge, Beth Kephart Challenge, and Tournament of Reading Challenge.
Phew! I'm exhausted just typing this.
- I hosted a mini-break for the participants of the Read.Read.Readathon.
- I shared a recipe for the Progressive Dinner.
- I participated in the Holiday Swap.
- I participated in the Advent Tour.
You'll have to wait for Sunday, January 3 for that. I'm still working on my goals and changes. I'm currently focusing on my blog roll, reviews, and managing my plugged-in time. My Sunday post will also discuss my 2010 challenges.
Challenges from 2009
- I finished 20 challenges in 2009.
- I officially abandoned 3 challenges (Civil War, U.S. Presidents, Blog Improvement Project)
- I failed to complete 5 challenges (9 Books in 2009, A-Z Authors, A-Z Titles, Scott Westerfeld, and Art History).
Fun Stats from 2009
First Review of the Year: Dead of the Night by John Marsden
Last Review of the Year: Death of Charming Man by M. C. Beaton
Male Authors: 50
Female Authors: 51
Most-read genre: fantasy
Least-read genre: short stories / early reader
New to me genre: graphic novels--I read 18
Top Reads from 2009 (alphabetical order)
Audiobooks (based on book and production)
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Killing Tree by Rachel Keener
- Nothing but Ghosts by Beth Kephart
- Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
- Sweeping up Glass by Carolyn Wall
- Willow by Julia Hoban
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
- French Milk by Lucy Knisley (graphic memoir)
- Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt (middle reader historical fiction)