Although science said otherwise, Cork knew absolutely that the human heart was enormous. Inside that organ, which was only the size of man's fist, was enough room to fit everything a person could possibly love, and then some. Cork's own heart held more treasures than he could easily name. But one that always stood in the forefront was Sam's Place. (p. 16)—Trickster's Point by William Kent Krueger (Simon & Schuster / Atria Books, 2012; quote from uncorrected proofs)
- Setting: Tamarack County, northern Minnesota
- Circumstances: Cork O'Connor's good friend Jubal Little dies with one of Cork's arrows through his heart; Cork must clear his name
- Characters: Jubal Little, the victim; Cork O'Connor, the former sheriff and primary suspect; their friends and family from their childhoods to the present
- Extras: Native American lore, beautifully written descriptions of the north country; politics
- Genre: mystery; 12th in series (can possibly be read as standalone)
- More on the series: I featured this series as part of Jen from Jen's Book Thoughts Detectives Around the World feature in 2010. Check my review of Purgatory Ridge and my post about O'Connor's Minnesota (including a recipe!).