The minute hand of the ornate grandfather clock crept like a gator stuck in swamp mud. I'd been watching it for half an hour, nursing a fizzy cocktail from my perch inside the Hotel Monteleone. The plaque on the enormous clock claimed it had been hand-carved of mahogany in 1909, about 130 years after the birth of the undead pirate waiting for me upstairs.—River Road by Suzanne Johnson (Tor / Tom Doherty, 2012; opening paragraphs)
They were both quite handsome, but the clock was a lot safer.
- Setting: New Orleans and surrounding areas
- Circumstances: paranormal creatures looking for war; serial killer of wizards
- Characters: DJ (wizard sentinel) and her partner, Alex Warin (a shifter) plus a dead pirate, merpeople, weres, and more
- Themes: murder, betrayal, clashing cultures, relationships/dating
- Genre: urban fantasy (with some humor), mystery
- Miscellaneous: this is the second book in a series
Buy River Road at an indie or at a bookstore near you. (Link leads to an affiliate program.)
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy).