would you do if you thought your father was evil? Juliet Moreau, 16
years old, is in service in London, making a quiet life for herself and
hoping no one discovers her shame: Her father has been exiled from
England for conducting unholy experiments on living creatures. When
rumors surface that he has set up a new laboratory on a tropical
island, Juliet decides to undertake the dangerous journey to learn the
truth of her past.
I awoke, head throbbing, the taste of chloroform in my throat. I was on the same wooden-framed bed I'd seen through the keyhole. I bolted upright. Scanned the room for my attacker, for a weapon, for an explanation as to why I was there.—The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd (HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray, 2013, p. 30; quote from uncorrected proof)
I remembered in flashes. The face in the mirror. The cloth against my mouth.
- Setting: London; a tropical island
- Circumstances: Juliet learns her father, a mad scientist, is still alive and sets off to stop his horrifying experiments
- Characters: Juliet, Dr. Moreau, the handsome Montgomery
- Genre: Gothic, suspense, adventure
- Miscellaneous: retelling of the The Island of Dr. Moreau from Juliet's perspective; first of a trilogy; movie rights have been bought
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy).