It's time for my best-of 2013 lists! I will post four this year. Today's is all about audiobooks, tomorrow is adult books, Saturday is food and cookbooks, and Monday is middle grade and young adult. Enjoy!
A note on my selections: The following unabridged audiobooks made my list based on the narrator's skill and other aspects of the production. The books themselves may not make my other lists but came alive for me as audiobooks. Books are presented alphabetically by title; links lead to my reviews or thoughts (here or at AudioFile magazine).
- Sarah Dunant's Blood & Beauty: The Borgias read by Edoardo Ballerini (Random House Audio), historical fiction, adult
- Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni read by George Guidall (HarperAudio), historical fiction & mysticism/fantasy, adult
- Maggie O'Farrell's Instructions for a Heatwave read by John Lee (Random House Audio), historical fiction (late 20th century), adult
- Robin Maxwell's Mademoiselle Boleyn read by Suzan Crowley (Brilliance Audio), historical fiction, adult
- Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane read by Neil Gaiman (HarperAudio), fantasy/magical, for everyone top listen of the year
- Curtis Sittenfeld's Sisterland read by Rebecca Lowman (Random House Audio), adult
- Sara Pennypacker's Summer of Gyspy Moths read by Jenna Lamia (Listening Library), contemporary fiction, middle grade
- Emily Croy Barker's The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic read by Alyssa Bresnahan (Recorded Books), fantasy, adult
- Janice Steinberg's The Tin Horse read by Kate McGregor-Stewart (Random House Audio), contemporary fiction, adult
- Wendy Wax's While We Were Watching Downton Abbey read by Orlagh Cassidy (Penguin Audio), contemporary fiction, adult