What if you were a fun-loving but sheltered Southern girl on the brink of your eighteenth birthday. You've just met a handsome Yankee who holds the promise of excitement, big cities, parties, and dancing. What would happen if you married that man and were flung into instant worldwide fame, totally unprepared to face the realities of grownup life? Zelda Sayre had faith in F. Scott Fitzgerald, but did he have faith in her?
If I could fit myself into this mail slot, here, I'd follow my letter all the way to Hollywood, all the way to Scott, right up to the door of our next future. We have always had a next one, after all, and there's no good reason we shouldn't start this one now. If only people could travel as easily as words. Wouldn't that be something? If only we could be so easily revised.—Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler (St. Martin's Press, 2013, pp 1–2)
- Setting: 1920s; Montgomery, Alabama; New York; Paris
- Circumstances: Zelda marries Scott; a life of glamor, parties, and love disintegrates into drunkenness, loneliness, and depression
- Characters: Zelda Sayre, popular, pretty, fun-loving; F. Scott Fitzgerald, hottest new author; Ernest Hemingway; Gertrude Stein; other expats, writers, musicians, artists
- Genre: historical fiction; giving voice to an often misunderstood woman
- Themes: marriage; alcoholism; women's independence; jealousy
- Evaluation: fascinating; well-researched; perfect book club pick; must read
- Extra: my positive review of the unabridged audiobook read by Jenna Lamia will be published by AudioFile magazine
Thanks to St. Martin's Press I have a truly fabulous giveaway for two of my readers! Each of the winners will receive a copy of Therese Fowler's Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald and an 11 × 14-inch frame-worthy poster that combines the cover art with text from the novel and recognizable icons from some of the cities the Fitzgeralds called home. (shown at right; click the image to enlarge it). Winners must have a U.S. or Canada mailing address. To enter for a chance to win, just fill out the form. I'll pick the winners, using a random number generator, on April 12. Once the winners are confirmed, I'll delete all personal information.
EDIT: if the form does not show up in your browser, just leave your email address in the comments and I'll make sure you are entered for a chance to win.
Buy Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald at an indie or at a bookstore near you. (Link leads to an affiliate program.)
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy).