What if the police decided a missing person's report is nothing to worry about, figuring it is just a sixteen-year-old boy up to normal teenage antics? But what if the boy is still missing days later? The local police finally send out a search team to comb the woods and waters. The report is sent to one of Sweden's most senior police chiefs:
Torkel knew that this was exactly the kind of case the tabloids loved to get a hold of. It didn't help that the preliminary cause of death—established where the body was found—indicated an extremely violent assault, with countless stab wounds to the heart and lungs. But that wasn't what bothered Torkel the most. It was the short final sentence in the report, a statement made by the pathologist at the scene.—Dark Secrets by Michael Hjorth and Hans Rosenfeldt (Hachette Book Group / Grand Central Publishing, 2013, pp. 27-28)
A preliminary examination indicates that most of the heart is missing.
- Setting: Vasteras, Sweden, and surrounding areas
- Circumstances: a young boy is brutally murdered; the police and criminal profiler must catch the killer before he strikes again
- Characters: Roger Eriksson (the victim) and his mother and girlfriend; Torkel Hoglund (police chief); Sebastian Bergman (psychologist and profiler); various townsfolk and police officers; the killer
- Genre: thriller; mystery
- Themes: besides the twisted mind of the killer, Bergman is going through some personal issues concerning his family
- Miscellaneous: originally published in Swedish; has been made into a TV series in Europe
To celebrate today's release of Dark Secrets, Grand Central Publishing has offered to send a copy of the novel to two of my readers. To enter for a chance to win, just fill out the following form. Because the publishing company will be mailing the books, only people with U.S. or Canadian mailing addresses are eligible for this giveaway. I'll pick the winners via a random number generator on April 30. Once the winners have been confirmed, I'll delete all personal information from my computer. Good luck!
Buy Dark Secrets at an indie or at a bookstore near you. (Link leads to an affiliate program.)
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy).