if one of your friends were killed by the son of the richest, most
powerful family in your community? Would you seek revenge? Justice? When
Willa Ames-Rowan was found floating in the lake after an evening sail
with James Gregory, her friends Madge, Lina, Sloane, and Rose vow to expose the
murderer. Will they survive to reveal what they've uncovered?
Willa Ames-Rowan never thought she would die. She firmly believed white should be worn before Labor Day, champagne was best enjoyed on an empty stomach, and sleep was for the weak. If it weren't for the inky black water tugging at her limbs, clawing its way into her mouth, she might have welcomed the dark solitude of Hawthorne Lake. She might have floated on her back, counting stars, dreaming about what it would be like to wake up next to her future husband. What it might be like to marry James Gregory.—This Is W.A.R. by Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecher (Soho Press / Soho Teen, 2013, p. 1)
- Setting: Hawthorne Lake Country Club—summer hangout for the fabulously wealthy
- Circumstances: Willa Ames-Rowan was murdered, probably by one of the Gregory boys; the Gregorys' money keeps the authorities quiet
- Characters: James Gregory and his family; Madge, Lina, Sloane, and Rose, teens with deep bank accounts who vow to seek revenge
- Genre: contemporary fiction; thriller mystery
- Themes: friendship; teen life; what money can and cannot buy
- Miscellaneous: told from the perspective of each of the girls; has been compared to the television show Revenge; the authors are sisters
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy).