It's time for my best-of 2013 lists! I will post four this year. Yesterday was all about audiobooks, today is adult books, tomorrow is food and cookbooks, and Monday is middle grade and young adult. Enjoy!
A note on my selections: Although I liked and was moved by many books this year, these are the ones that have stuck with me, that I still talk about, that I
highly recommended to my friends and family, and that I gave as
presents. Books are presented alphabetically by title; links lead to
my reviews or thoughts.
- Kent Haruf's Benediction (Random House / Knopf), fiction, western
- Larry Watson's Let Him Go (Milkweed Editions), fiction, western Top read of the year
- Jo Baker's Longbourn (Random House / Knopf), historical fiction, Pride & Prejudice
- Philip Caputo's The Longest Road (Macmillan / Henry Holt), nonfiction, travel, social commentary
- Beth Hoffman's Looking for Me (Viking / Pamela Dorman), fiction, southern
- Sharon Short's My One Square Inch of Alaska (Penguin / Plume), fiction
- Paul Lynch's Red Sky in Morning (Hachette Book Group / Little, Brown), historical fiction
- Jess Walter's We Live in Water (HarperCollins / Harper Perennial), short stories